Writers Bloc 3

Sunday, July 03, 2005

It's not Old MacDonald's Farm but we must be close.

Just thought I'd humor everyone with a short story from the country. Mom and I were taking a ride yesterday out the road on our golf cart. (We own several acres and since my sister and brother both live within a mile of my parents, it's an easy way to get around. Anyway, I digress.) As we're coming up over a small hill, we see something in the road and assume it's a dog. It is, in fact, a pot-bellied pig. (Turns out the pig belongs to my cousin who owns various animals but who stopped by several days earlier in search of said pig.) Anyway, before we can get to the pig, a car comes from the other direction and barely misses hitting it. Mom starts frantically saying that we should get it off the road and I'm asking her how she thinks we are going to do it short of chasing it down in the golf cart. (Funny visual, huh?) That apparently was what she was going to do, but fortunately the pig – whose belly was so stretched from giving birth a few days earlier that it was skimming the ground – made it's way into a field. We turn around and head to my cousin's house, which is also within a mile, and inform him that we spotted his pig. Anyway, the pig had escaped its pen at my cousin's so it could deliver its litter at an undisclosed location. I like to think that we don't live that far from town but incidents like this remind me otherwise, especially since it was the most exciting thing to happen that day. I need to get out more.

1 Comments:

At 2:39 PM, Blogger Misty said...

One day when I was in high school, my mom, grandma and I were headed to pick my dad up from work, when we came across a little lamb in the middle of the road. We were running late to get my dad, but we were afraid the lamb would get hit by a car, so we coaxed him into the car, picked my dad up, then came back to where we'd found him, knocked on a nearby farmhouse, and managed to find his owner.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home